Making It Easy For Everybody To Do It . . .
. . . Blog that is. Blogging software (aka blogware or weblog software) . . . incidentally, aka means “also known as” which you will know if you’re a blogger but you might not if you aren’t. Anyway, don’t let the language of bloggers put you off joining the ranks of bloggers worldwide . . . you’ll soon get the hang of it. Right, what was I talking about? Blog software is what the boffins with university degrees and shed loads of computer knowledge have developed so that us mere mortals don’t feel left out in the cold. Anybody can blog, and that’s all down to the fantastic “idiot proof” blogging software which makes it possible. You see, blog software really does simplify the whole blogging process so that you, your Mom, your Granny, the dog walker and old Mrs James at #28 can all create and maintain a weblog . . . easy as pie. (Incidentally Mrs James also creates a mean apple pie . . . she wrote about it on her blog, included photos and everything . . . but she won’t divulge her secret recipe, how mean is that . . . says it’s a family secret which she’ll take to her grave . . . she did invite her neighbors around though, to do a taste test and write a comment on her blog . . . she’s really getting the hang of this blogging business . . . she’ll be taking pie orders next!)
Features of Weblog Software
Weblog software allows you to write, edit and publish your thoughts, ideas and ramblings, generally in the following way:
- Blog Title – well, every post needs a headline doesn’t it, just like every newspaper story. Think of your blog as your own personal newspaper if you like, if that idea appeals to you more than the traditional “journal” idea.
- Blog Body – what do you actually want to talk about? The body of the blog has the content of your blog post.
- Blog URL or Permalink – directing your avid readers to the whole article . . . if you’ve managed to capture their attention with your title and leader.
- Blog Date and Time – blogs include this information so that your reader knows exactly when it was last updated . . . bit mean if you ask me, you can’t take a couple of weeks off your blog without being caught out.
- Blog Comments – this additional blog feature came in very handy for Mrs James, but if you choose to allow comments on your blog then you’re also opening yourself up for potential criticism . . . maybe your readers aren’t all of the same opinions as you, and are not afraid to tell you.
- Blog pingbacks and Trackbacks – are included in some blogging software too . . . these are simply links to different sites which you might have mentioned in your blog ramblings.
Top 3 Best Free Blogging Software Sites
Don’t get all prissy with me here, these are just my opinion (thank goodness I haven’t activated comments . . . and for very good reason. You might think I talk drivel, I might think I talk drivel, but it’s my drivel and if you don’t like it just don’t read it but don’t burst my bubble okay dude!)
#1 – WordPress – the “Daddy” of free blogging software. It’s certainly the most popular because it’s flexible, it’s simple and it has thousands of plugins and themes to make your blog even more interesting and stand out from the crowd. Incidentally, just a thought here, if millions of people have the ability to make their blog stand out from the crowd, then it’s a pretty big crowd isn’t it? Gonna’ take something quite special to really stand out from all of those blogs which are standing out . . . there I go again, rambling!
#2 – Movable Type - is another popular blogging platform with a huge following, that’s why I’ve made it my “Number 2″.
#3 – Joomla Blogging Software – is particularly good at search engine optimization, and is very popular with the business community for e-commerce blogs etc.
You can also find WordPress Apps for the iPad.